BU Careers & Employability Service
The Edge Student Development Centre (outside the Sir Michael Cobham Library, Talbot Campus)
Open 8.45am – 4.30pm – Monday – Friday
Tel: 01202 961663
Find us on Twitter
- Opportunity of the Week
- Resources of the Week – Print & Online
- On Campus Careers & Recruitment events this Week
- This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
- External Careers & Recruitment News/Opportunities/Events
1. Opportunity of the Week
Prizes to be won with the MyPlacementStory BU competition!
Whether you’re on placement at the moment, or have already had a great work placement as part of your course here at BU – past or present – you’re invited to share your story and how this has contributed to your time at BU, or your career since graduating.
Simply tell us about your placement experience by sharing a tweet, picture or video on Twitter or Instagram using #MyPlacementStory before 11pm on Sunday 26 February.
There’s some great prizes up for grabs including: a tailor-made work outfit, £250 towards a professional development course of your choice, £100 footwear voucher and one of two SportBU memberships – winners will be chosen at the end of February. Terms and conditions apply
2. Resources of the Week – Print & Online
Take your career in the right direction – Pick up your FREE copy of the Prospects Student Career Guide
This publication has been developed to provide students with a complete guide that will meet your needs at whatever stage of the student journey you are at.
Whether you are looking for work experience opportunities before graduation or want to start researching graduate scheme opportunities as early as possible, this guide is for you.
- Job Hunting Advice – tips on choosing your career, application processes and how best to engage with social media
- Employability – Advice on how to make yourself stand out to employers in a competitive jobs market
- Employer Profiles – Make informed decisions on who you’d like to work for, by getting to know UK employers with a strong track record for providing graduate opportunities
- Sector Profiles – Discover what skills employers are looking for and how to find a job in 20 of the UK’s most important sectors.
Pick up your FREE copy from the Careers Centre, the Edge Student Development Centre (outside the library) whilst stocks last!
It’s volunteering week this week at BU so get involved and boost your CV!
More and more employers are now looking for candidates who stand out from the crowd and have that competitive edge when it comes to recruiting into their companies.
Volunteering is one way that can help you with achieving that competitive edge and in fact over 6 in 10 employers now actively look for skills gained from volunteering projects. The benefits of volunteering are far ranging and include the opportunity to:-
- Gain valuable work experience and a foot in the door in your chosen job sector
- Expand your network of contacts and who you know
- Find out if the job/career is the right one for you
- Develop practical skills including team building
- Demonstrate commitment, creativity and initiative
- Talk to people about what extra skills you might need to advance your career
- Reflect on your successes and failures
Start looking for volunteering roles on MyCareerHub today
For further volunteering resources click here
Resource Topics on MyCareerHub
More Careers Resources can be accessed on MyCareerHub here
3.This Week – On Campus Careers & Job Application Advice, Workshops & Employer Events
Non Confidential Drop in Advice Sessions this Week
The Careers Advisor team will be offering drop in advice (no need to book) in the Edge (outside the library) at the following times this week:-
- Monday 20th February 9.30am – 11.30am
- Tuesday 21st February 1.30pm – 3.30pm
- Wednesday 22nd February – 10am – 12pm
- Thursday 23rd February – 1pm – 3pm
- Friday 24th February – 2pm – 4pm
Whether you want to discuss the job hunting and application process or your career options, pop in and have a chat with our friendly team.
Confidential Appointments this Week
Confidential Face to face, telephone and Skype appointments with our careers advisor team are available to book this week on both Talbot & Lansdowne Campuses.
View all available appointments via MyCareerHub here
On-Campus Workshops & Employer Events
This Week on Campus
- How to write an effective CV ~ Tuesday 21st Feb (Lansdowne Campus) 2pm – 3pm – Sign up Now
Forthcoming on Campus
View all forthcoming events on campus
4. This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
For more part time, vacation, voluntary, placement & graduate job vacancies visit MyCareerHub here
More job hunting resources on MyCareerHub
More Careers & Recruitment News, Events & Opportunities
*If you would like to provide some feedback on this blog post then please email firstname.lastname@example.org