The Careers Centre (outside the Sir Michael Cobham Library, Talbot Campus)
Open 8.45am – 4.30pm – Monday – Friday
Tel: 01202 961663
Find us on Twitter
- Opportunity of the Week
- Resources of the Week – Print & Online
- On Campus Careers & Recruitment events this Week
- This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
- External Careers & Recruitment News/Opportunities/Events
Apply now to the BU Annual Undergraduate Placement Prize Competition
The Annual Undergraduate Placement Prize is awarded to the student who is judged to have made the greatest impact during their placement year and is able to reflect on their learning experience.
Students are invited to nominate themselves and will require supporting evidence from their employer highlighting how they meet the criteria for the prize.
Nominations are considered by a Faculty panel who will forward the overall Faculty winner to a central panel for consideration for the BU Award.
The timeframe for 2016-17 nominations is as below:
- Stage 1: Student Nominations with Employers Supporting statement to be submitted to Faculty PDAs by midnight Monday 18th September 2017
- Stage 2: Shortlisted Faculty Nominations to be submitted to a central independent BU panel on 27th October.
- Results announced on or before 30th November 2017.
To find out more and apply:-
- Undergraduate Annual Placement Prize Guide
- Student Supporting Evidence Document
- Employer Nomination Form
Books of the Week
- Job Searching with Social Media for Dummies
- Cover Letters for Dummies
- The Interview Question & Answer Book
- The Numeracy Test Workbook ~ Including Quick Tests and Realistic Mock Ups
Available to loan out from the Careers Centre in the Edge (outside the library) plus many more!
Want to know more about psychometric tests and how you can prepare for them?
Profiling for Success – Offers a series of free online psychometric tests covering both personality assessment and skills tests all of which are available to BU students.
Psychometric tests can be used in recruitment and selection. These tests may measure a number of factors such as the level or nature of thinking competencies by focusing upon your aptitudes or abilities in specific areas or reasoning. They may also gather information on your personal qualities and responses in specific and differing situations.
To find out more click here
Resource Topics on MyCareerHub
- Employer Directories
- Disability & Job Hunting
- Graduate Labour Market
- What to do After the Interview
- Working in the USA
More Careers Resources can be accessed on MyCareerHub here
3. This week ~ On campus Careers & Job Application Advice, Workshops & Employer Events
Non Confidential Drop in Advice Sessions this Week
The Careers Advisor team will be offering drop in advice (no need to book) in the Careers Centre (outside the library) at the following times this week:-
- Monday 19th June from 10am – 12 Noon
- Tuesday 20th June from 1.30pm – 3.30pm
- Wednesday 21st June from 10am – 12 Noon
- Thursday 22nd June from 1.30pm – 3.30pm
- Friday 23rd June from 1.30pm – 3.30pm
Please note that the Global Engagement team will have a Drop In session this week for Study and Work Abroad.
- Wednesday 21st June from 1pm ~ 5pm
You can visit their webpages here for further information.
Confidential Appointments this Week
Confidential Face to face, telephone and Skype appointments with our careers advisor team are available to book this week on both Talbot & Lansdowne Campuses.
View all available appointments via MyCareerHub here
4. This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
Leeds Building Society – Customer Service Advisor, Poole
Cruel Sea Bar – Waiting Staff, Poole
AFC Bournemouth – Goalkeeper Coaching Department, Bournemouth
Warehouse Fashion – Digital Trading Assistant, London
Quay Holidays – Holiday Lettings Agent, Poole
For more part time, vacation, voluntary, placement & graduate job vacancies visit MyCareerHub here
5. More Careers & Recruitment News, Events & Opportunities
Further BU Opportunities
- Want to bring your achievements and ambition to the attention of local employers? Enter the Dorset ROCK Awards 2017 CLOSING DATE 30th June
- Want to boost your CV and stand out in the job crowd? Apply for FREE BU student membership of the Institute of Directors! CLOSING 10th July
- Are you going on Placement? Do you know about the BU Placement Opportunity Fund?
- BU Student Ambassador Roles ~ a number of opportunities to work whilst you’re studying
Further External Opportunities
- Aged 16-30? Need funding for your business? Do you have an innovative business idea? £5,000 available this month to be won!
- Considering a career in computer teaching? Apply for a teaching scholarship that is worth £27,500
- Looking for an opportunity to Teach English as a Foreign Language? A TEFL course may be for you
- Looking to develop your Global Skills? Volunteer with BUNAC as a sports coach in South Africa
Further Off Campus careers & recruitment events can be found on MyCareerHub
Further Recruitment News can be found on the C&E Twitter Page
For further details of opportunities to boost your CV, check out the C&E Employability Blog
*If you would like to provide some feedback on this blog post then please email firstname.lastname@example.org