The Careers Centre (outside the Sir Michael Cobham Library, Talbot Campus)
Open 8.45am – 4.30pm – Monday – Friday
Tel: 01202 961663
Find us on Twitter
- Opportunity of the Week
- Resources of the Week – Print & Online
- On Campus Careers & Recruitment events this Week
- This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
- External Careers & Recruitment News/Opportunities/Events
Apply now to the BU Annual Undergraduate Placement Prize Competition
The Annual Undergraduate Placement Prize is awarded to the student who is judged to have made the greatest impact during their placement year and is able to reflect on their learning experience.
Students are invited to nominate themselves and will require supporting evidence from their employer highlighting how they meet the criteria for the prize.
Nominations are considered by a Faculty panel who will forward the overall Faculty winner to a central panel for consideration for the BU Award.
The timeframe for 2016-17 nominations is as below:
- Stage 1: Student Nominations with Employers Supporting statement to be submitted to Faculty PDAs by midnight Monday 18th September 2017
- Stage 2: Shortlisted Faculty Nominations to be submitted to a central independent BU panel on 27th October.
- Results announced on or before 30th November 2017.
To find out more and apply:-
- Undergraduate Annual Placement Prize Guide
- Student Supporting Evidence Document
- Employer Nomination Form
Books of the Week
- Ultimate New Job ~ The Definitive Guide to Success as a New Starter
- Ultimate Cover Letters ~ A Guide to Job Search Letters, Online Application and Follow Up Strategies
- The Interview Question & Answer Book ~ How to be ready to answer 155 toughest interview questions
- Passing the Literacy Skills Test
Available to loan out from the Careers Centre in the Edge (outside the library) plus many more!
Are you looking to practice your Interview Technique? Why not try the ‘Abintegro Interview Practice Simulator Package’
Interviews can be daunting, even for experienced professionals. With the ‘Interview Simulator’ package from Abintegro Limited allows you to test yourself with interactive questions and best practice answers from experienced professionals to build up you confidence and competence.
What it includes:-
- Practise hundreds of interview questions from leading hiring managers, in a time-pressured environment, to build confidence and competence, giving the greatest chance of interview success.
- Take a mock interview, where auto-generated questions, designed to mirror the structure of an interview, test you in a time pressured environment. Answers can be recorded in audio and video for review, and notes can be quickly downloaded into preparation packs.
- Browse 101 of the most trusted and important interview questions in the simulator, helping you to understand what’s important, what employers are looking for, and the top DO’s and DON’Ts of all our questions.
- Watch videos of experienced professionals giving their honest advice about why they ask these questions, and how good answers differ from poor ones.
To find out more and start practicing click here and use your BU login details.
Resource Topics on MyCareerHub
- Graduate Internships
- Regional Job Hunting
- Researching Employers
- Selling your weaknesses at Interview
More Careers Resources can be accessed on MyCareerHub here
3. This week ~ On campus Careers & Job Application Advice, Workshops & Employer Events
Non Confidential Drop in Advice Sessions this Week
The Careers Advisor team will be offering drop in advice (no need to book) in the Careers Centre (outside the library) at the following times this week:-
- Monday 5th June from 10am – 12 Noon
- Tuesday 6th June from 1.30pm – 3.30pm
- Wednesday 7th June from 10am – 12 Noon
- Thursday 8th June from 2pm – 4pm
- Friday 9th June from 1.30pm – 3.30pm
Please note that the Global Engagement team will have a Drop In session this week for Study and Work Abroad.
- Wednesday 7th June from 1pm ~ 5pm
You can visit their webpages here for further information.
Confidential Appointments this Week
Confidential Face to face, telephone and Skype appointments with our careers advisor team are available to book this week on both Talbot & Lansdowne Campuses.
View all available appointments via MyCareerHub here
4. This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
- Red Sky at Night Events Ltd – Venue Assistant, UK:
- AutoSwot – Video Animator (Adobe After Effects), South East England:
- Decathlon – Finance Assistant, London:
- Bite Communications – PR & Marketing, London:
- Siemens – Commercial Officer (Finance), Poole:
For more part time, vacation, voluntary, placement & graduate job vacancies visit MyCareerHub here
5. More Careers & Recruitment News, Events & Opportunities
Further BU Opportunities
- Want to boost your CV and stand out in the job crowd? Apply for FREE BU student membership of the Institute of Directors!
- Are you going on Placement? Do you know about the BU Placement Opportunity Fund?
- A great volunteering opportunity to add to your CV and it’s based here at BU. Apply now!
- Want to bring your achievements and ambition to the attention of local employers? Enter the Dorset ROCK Awards 2017
- BU Student Ambassador Roles ~ a number of opportunities to work whilst you’re studying
Further External Opportunities
- Aged 16-30? Need funding for your business? Do you have an innovative business idea? £5,000 available this month to be won!
- Want to develop your professional skills for work? Become a Youth Employment UK Young Professional today
Further Off Campus careers & recruitment events can be found on MyCareerHub
Further Recruitment News can be found on the C&E Twitter Page
For further details of opportunities to boost your CV, check out the C&E Employability Blog
*If you would like to provide some feedback on this blog post then please email firstname.lastname@example.org