The Careers Centre (outside the Sir Michael Cobham Library, Talbot Campus)
Open 8.45am – 4.30pm – Monday – Friday
Tel: 01202 961663
Find us on Twitter
- Opportunity of the Week
- Resources of the Week – Print & Online
- On Campus Careers & Recruitment events this Week
- This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
- External Careers & Recruitment News/Opportunities/Events
1.Opportunity of the Week
Do you want to learn more about different cultures on campus and boost your CV at the same time? If so, apply to become a BU Global Buddy
Are you friendly and keen to share your own culture with other students?
BU are now recruiting current BU students to become Global BUddies Group Leaders for groups of new students in September 2017. Could this be you?
Registrations close at midnight on Sunday 14 May
The students in your group would be different nationalities to you and your role would be to organise activities and, importantly, encourage your group to be curious about each other’s cultures. You’ll be paired with at least one other Group Leader (a current BU student, like you) and your group will be about 15 students in total.
We welcome applications from students of ALL nationalities. Your own personal experience of studying at BU will put you in a strong position to help new students settle in here and become part of a global community at BU.
Want to know more? Read the Frequently Asked Questions on our webpage.
If you want to become a Global BUddies Group Leader, REGISTER NOW
Registrations close at midnight on Sunday 14 May. We’ll email you by Wednesday 17 May to tell you whether or not you have been selected and to confirm the training date and time (venue to be confirmed).
2. Resources of the week – Print & Online
Pick up a FREE copy of Student Career Guide ~ Take Your Career in the Right Direction 2016/17
- Employability ~ read about setting goals, seeking out opportunities and the importance of gaining experience.
- Job Hunting ~ Choosing a career, Interviews, Managing an Online Profile.
- Sector Profiles ~ What skills are employers looking for and how to find a job in 20 of the UK’s most important sectors.
Pick up your FREE copy while stocks last from the Careers Centre (outside the library, Talbot Campus)
Have you accessed MyCareerHub?
CareerHub software is used by the Careers Services in over 80 higher education institutions across Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, South Africa and the South Pacific and here at BU we use MyCareerHub to support all of our students, including those that have recently graduated. It has a really wide range of facilities and information such as:
- How to boost your Employability
- CV & Covering Letter Advice
- Access to an employers ‘jobs’ area which is updated with vacancies on a daily basis
- A facility to book your own career appointments with one of our advisors at your convenience
- An A – Z menu of easy to find career resources
- Up to date list of current opportunities, both internally and externally for BU students
- A facilty for you to ‘Ask a Question’
Click here and use your usual BU login details to access this abundance of employability services and career tools.
Resource Topics on MyCareerHub
- I don’t have a clue what I want to do for a Career or Job – Help!
- Job Hunting UK & Overseas
- Job Applications – CVs, Covering letter and Application Forms
- Sector Job Hunting
- Country Profiles A-Z
More Careers Resources can be accessed on MyCareerHub here
3. This week ~ On campus Careers & Job Application Advice, Workshops & Employer Events
Non Confidential Drop in Advice Sessions this Week
The Careers Advisor team will be offering drop in advice (no need to book) in the Careers Centre (outside the library) at the following times this week:-
- Monday 1st May CLOSED (Bank Holiday)
- Tuesday 2nd May from 1.30pm – 3.30pm
- Wednesday 3rd May from 9am – 11am
- Thursday 4th May from 2pm – 4pm
- Friday 5th May No Drop In
A Global Engagement team member will be available to give advice on work and study abroad (no need to book) in the Careers Centre (outside the library) at the following times this week:-
- Wednesday 3rd May from 1pm –5pm
Confidential Appointments this Week
Confidential Face to face, telephone and Skype appointments with our careers advisor team are available to book this week on both Talbot & Lansdowne Campuses.
View all available appointments via MyCareerHub here
On-Campus Workshops & Employer Events
This Week on Campus
- Want to know the secrets to creating a winning CV? – Thursday 4th May Sign up now
Forthcoming on Campus
- Creative CV’s Would you like to know more about how to make your CV more creative? Tuesday 9th May
- Introduction to LinkedIn This hands on interactive workshop will take you through setting up a LinkedIn profile. Wednesday 10th May
- Meet the Entrepreneur event Wednesday 10th May
- Preparing for Interviews (Lansdowne) Thursday 11th May
View all forthcoming events on campus
4. This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
- Russell Cotes Art Gallery & Museum – Visitor Services Assistant, Bournemouth:
- Alter Agency – Havaianas Student Brand Ambassador, Bournemouth:
- A&GP Trading Ltd – Social Media & Marketing Assistant, UK:
- St Joan of Arc Catholic School – Teacher of English, Rickmansworth:
- Bournemouth Uni – SUBU – Digital Engagement Coordinator, Poole: https://mycareerhub.bournemouth.ac.uk/students/jobs/detail/732647/graduate-role-digital-engageme
For more part time, vacation, voluntary, placement & graduate job vacancies visit MyCareerHub here
5. More Careers & Recruitment News, Events & Opportunities
Further BU Opportunities
- Worried about the cost of going on a Placement? Find out about the BU Placement Opportunity Fund!
Do you have what it takes to be named the IoD Student of the Year 2017 ? Find out more and apply by 9th May
- Have you been on Placement and want the chance to win £500? Apply now to the BU Annual Undergraduate Placement Prize Competition
Further External Opportunities
- Considering a career in computer teaching? Apply for a teaching scholarship that is worth £27,500
- Want to develop your professional skills for work? Become a Youth Employment UK Young Professional today
Further Off Campus careers & recruitment events can be found on MyCareerHub
Further Recruitment News can be found on the C&E Twitter Page
For further details of opportunities to boost your CV, check out the C&E Employability Blog
*If you would like to provide some feedback on this blog post then please email email@example.com