The Edge Student Development Centre (outside the Sir Michael Cobham Library, Talbot Campus)
Open 8.45am – 4.30pm – Monday – Friday
Tel: 01202 961663
Find us on Twitter
- Opportunity of the Week
- Resources of the Week – Print & Online
- On Campus Careers & Recruitment events this Week
- This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
- External Careers & Recruitment News/Opportunities/Events
1.Opportunity of the Week
A great opportunity to; develop your skills, add to your CV and work for BU as a Resident Assistant.
As a current BU student returning to continue your studies, this paid opportunity will provide you with the chance to develop personal and professional skills, including: interpersonal skills, problem-solving, event planning and team building.
You will take part in a one-week training programme before the start of term (usually in September) where you will meet other Resident Assistants, develop your skills, become familiar with BU support services and processes, and start planning activities for the start of term.
Click here for further information and how to apply.
Further opportunities to boost your CV can be found on our Employability Blog
2. Resources of the week
Books of the Week
- 301 Best Questions To Ask On Your Interview
- Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions
- Employability Skills
- The Aptitude Test Workbook
Available to loan out from the Careers Centre in the Edge (outside the library) plus many more!
Did you know that we have CV & Covering Letter Templates on MyCareerHub.
Curriculum Vitaes (better known as a CV) today come in all shapes and sizes. From traditional reverse chronological CVs to Skills based CVs, Video CVs to Infographics, how you present your experience is pretty much up to you – it is after all your document. However, by sticking to a few ground rules you will be able to impress employers and show them that you are right for the job.
Here is a link to some great resources and templates on MyCareerHub to help get you started.
Resource Topics on MyCareerHub
- Postgraduate Study Options
- Overseas Online Job Sites
- In tray exercises at Interview
- Working in France
- Working in Journalism & English
More Careers Resources can be accessed on MyCareerHub here
3. This week ~ On campus Careers & Job Application Advice, Workshops & Employer Events
Non Confidential Drop in Advice Sessions this Week
The Careers Advisor team will be offering drop in advice (no need to book) in the Edge (outside the library) at the following times this week:-
- Monday 20th March from 9.30am – 11.30am
- Tuesday 21st March from 1.30pm – 3.30pm
- Wednesday 22nd March from 10am – 12 Noon
- Thursday 23rd March from 2pm – 4pm
- Friday 24th March from 1.30pm – 3.30pm
The Work & Study Abroad Team will be offering drop in advice (no need to book) in the Edge (outside the library) at the following times this week:-
- Tuesday 21st March from 9am – 12 Noon
- Wednesday 22nd March from 1pm –5pm
Confidential Appointments this Week
Confidential Face to face, telephone and Skype appointments with our careers advisor team are available to book this week on both Talbot & Lansdowne Campuses.
View all available appointments via MyCareerHub here
On-Campus Workshops & Employer Events
This Week on Campus
- Beat the Job Search Blues – Tuesday 21st March – Sign up Now
- Preparing for Interviews (Lansdowne) – Wednesday 22nd March – Sign up Now
- A Networking event for Media Production students – Wednesday 22nd March – Sign Up Now
- How to Job Hunt in the UK job market – Thursday 23rd March – Sign up Now
Forthcoming on Campus
- BU Institute of Directors presents ~ Marketing Strategy – An Insightful Story (28th March)
- STEEP Workshop: Understanding the Culture of British Workplaces (29th March)
- Preparing for Interviews (30th March)
- Introduction to LinkedIn (30th March)
View all forthcoming events on campus
4. This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
- Bettering Education – Brand Ambassador, Bournemouth
- GirlGuiding – Activity Instructor, East Grinstead, Hampshire, Clitheroe
- RS Sailing – Videographer Placement, Romsey
For more part time, vacation, voluntary, placement & graduate job vacancies visit MyCareerHub here
More Careers & Recruitment News, Events & Opportunities
Further BU Opportunities
- Stand out in a competitive Jobs market with a FREE student membership to the Institute of Directors – Sign up Now!
- Looking to boost your employment prospects? The unique BU Global Talent Programme is open for registrations!
- Fund an overseas placement/trip – Apply for BU Global Horizons Funding
- Worried about the cost of going on a Placement? Find out about the BU Placement Opportunity Fund!
Further External Opportunities
- Are you a story teller? Can you bring social issues ‘to life’ through the written word? The Koreo prize gives you the opportunity to win £5000 plus a potential paid work placement!
- Are you highly numerate? Have you thought of a career in Health Analysis? Then why not join the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme.
- Are you a budding film maker? Here’s your chance to turn your idea into a reality with industry support and mentoring.
- Are you looking for a job in the Healthcare sector? Why not visit the Dorset Healthcare Recruitment Open Days.
Further Off Campus careers & recruitment events can be found on MyCareerHub
Further Recruitment News can be found on the C&E Twitter Page
For further details of opportunities to boost your CV, check out the C&E Employability Blog
*If you would like to provide some feedback on this blog post then please email firstname.lastname@example.org