BU Careers & Employability Service, The Edge Student Development Centre (outside the Sir Michael Cobham Library, Talbot Campus)
Open 8.45am – 4.30pm – Monday – Friday
Tel: 01202 961663
Find us on Twitter
- Opportunity of the Week
- Resource of the Week
- On Campus Careers & Recruitment events this Week
- This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
- This week’s Careers & Recruitment News & Employability Opportunities
1. BU Opportunity of the Week
Want to make a difference to people’s lives and boost your CV at the same time? Apply to the BU Shrievalty Award.
Sponsored by the High Sheriff of Dorset, this annual activity provides successful applicants the opportunity to work on key community projects in between September and March.
While this opportunity is open to all BU students, as this project work is completed part-time alongside your studies, it’s especially ideal if you’re about to enter your second year – or your final year if you think you can manage your time and commit to the project.
As well as being a great opportunity that can make a difference to people’s lives, you’ll be able to develop and evidence your collaborative working skills, network with other students and community contacts and enhance your employability with a portfolio showcasing your experiences.
Applicants need to demonstrate volunteering and teamwork experiences. It will also be a bonus if you’ve completed the BU Student Development Award but it’s not essential.
Interviews take place in early March by a panel including the Head of Regional Community Engagement and the Student Development Award Coordinator.
Apply via MyCareerHub by 4pm Friday 12 February 2016.
Further opportunities to boost the CV can be found on our Employability Blog
2. BU Resource of the Week
Plan your future and create successful job applications with the Skills4Study Careers & Employability Package
The resource includes the following areas:-
Create your own horizons
- Start using Personal Development Planning to shape your ambitions, work out what success means to you and make the most of your opportunities.
Planning your future
- Find out what employers are looking for. Identify the skills, qualities and attitudes needed to achieve your goal and learn how to start developing these.
Successful job applications
- Learn how to prove your skills to an employer in a CV and competence-based applications, and how to perform well in interviews and assessment centres.
To access the Skills4Study Employability package click here
More Careers Resources can be accessed on MyCareerHub here
3.This Week – On Campus Careers & Job Application Appointments, Workshops & Recruitment Events
One to One Advice
Bookable and Drop in Appointments with advisors in the Careers & Employability Service are available this week for the following advice:-
- How to Job Hunt
- CV & Covering Letter Reviews
- Application Form Reviews
- Interview & Assessment Centre Preparation
- Deciding what to do after Uni
- Careers Guidance & Advice
- Changing or Leaving your Course
- Further Study Advice
View all available appointments via MyCareerHub here
The following workshops are taking place this week on Talbot Campus:-
- Winning CVs Workshop – Monday 8th February, 1pm – 2pm Book your Place
- Part Time Jobs Fair – Wednesday 10th February, 10am – 12pm, Kimmeridge House Find out More
- Succeed in the Jobs Market – Attend a series of employer led ‘Get that Job’ Workshops (12 in total) – Wednesday 10th February, 12pm – 4pm Sign up Here
- Acing Interviews Workshop – Friday 12th February, 10am – 11am, Sign up Here
More careers and recruitment events can be found on MyCareerHub here
3. This week’s Part Time, Placement & Graduate Job Vacancies on MyCareerHub
• KIN London – Events Management Intern, London Find out More
• Imagine Publishing – Sales Executive, Bournemouth Find out More
• LV – GI Retail Data Analyst, Bournemouth Find out More
For more part time, vacation, voluntary, placement & graduate job vacancies visit MyCareerHub here
4. This week’s Recruitment News & Opportunities
- More employers look for MBA Talent Read More
- 2015 edition of ‘What do Graduates Do?’ is now available Read More
- Amazon To Create 2,500 Jobs In The UK Read More
- Starting a business? Check-out these handy online business courses available via Startacus Read More
Job Hunting & Applications Hints & Tips
- 10 terrible cover letters from across the internet Read More
- How to talk to anyone: the experts guide to networking for jobs success Read More
- From milk cartons to video games, feel inspired with these creative CVs Read More
- Twelve words to say at a job interview – and 12 to avoid at all costs Read More
- 9 ways to tweet your way to a graduate job Read More
- How to decide what to tell an employer about your disability Read More
- Explore these expert tips on how to perform well at an assessment centre Read More
- GCHQs Cyber Summer School opens for applications Read More
- Employment Outlook: India Read More
- Home and away: a guide to moving to Australia for work Read More
Opportunities to boost the CV
- Worried about the cost of going on a placement? Find out about the BU Placement opportunity fund Read More
- Want to boost your CV & career prospects? Apply for BU student membership of the Institute of Directors Read More